Wednesday, December 01, 2004

The Year of Matthew

Welcome to the Year of Matthew!

As many of you already know, the new liturgical year has just begun. This year, churches around the world will be going through the Gospel of Saint Matthew the Evangelist.

Saint Matthew has been considered by the early church to be the most Jewish of the Gospels. Matthew looks at Jesus as the new Moses. Jesus is the bringer of the New Covenant while Moses was the Old. Jesus is Messiah and this title takes on special significance for Matthew. Matthew it seems emphasizes Jesus' teaching ministry as similar to that of Moses sharing the Law with the people. This liturgical year is a year of deep and proud history tied boldly to our Hebrew ancestors.

So as part of this year, I will be doing a study of Matthew. In so doing I hope to immerse myself in the life and ministry of the church, growing in faith. I'll post my ideas here as they come.

Happy New Year!


No comments: