Friday, December 24, 2004

Snowstorms and Saintly Vigils

Late during the night on December 22-23, we experienced a Thundersnow storm in Indiana. Personally, I have never experienced anything like it before. In fact, I didn't now that thunder and lightning were even possible in a snow storm. However, upon seeing the flash of bright blue hit the ground in my back yard, hearing the thunder over head amidst the snowfall, I soon learned there is such a thing as thundersnow.

The television immediately interrupted programing to declare that the radar had recorded several flashes of lightening north of Indianapolis. They told us that this was a natural phenomenon when the snow was coming down as heavily as it was the other night. Oddly enough though, hearing her declare it "natural" reiterated to me how miraculous it all was. I am amazed at how God created and formed a universe in such a way, as to bring such a brilliant blue in flashes of energy. The fact that such phenomena are natural does not take from me the realization of the miracle of it all.

And now it's the Vigil of Christmas. The night when we remember how the creator God, demonstrated loving care over all he created by joining with and becoming part of it. Unwilling to see his good work buried under death he came to live as part of it, become part of it. The shepherds, the magi, even the Virgin Mary and Blessed Joseph only saw a baby that night so many years ago. The fact that a baby is a natural thing, that there were many other babies born that very night did not diminish the miracle of that one life.

Though it is true blue flashes of power can be explained through scientific theorums, ions and atoms, it does not diminish the wonderful realization that the God who created the universe created everything with it's own inherent order and goodness. This awesome truth cannot be measure or weighed but it is none the less true.

In the same way, the fact that Jesus looked just like any other baby does not change the awesome reality of who he was even in the manger. Though no one may have known just by looking at him, something still lead them to adoration. The recognition of God's supernatural action even within confines of the ordinary naturalness of life.

On this night of Saintly Vigil, I praise my God who chose to reach down into the fragile confines of humanity and save the world. Humanity and Divinity I love you my Jesus for the creative and redemptive action of the Incarnation. I thank you for your desire to see creation redeemed by giving us the fullness of yourself in the vulnerable body of a little baby. King of the Universe, Son of the Eternal Father, Prince of Poverty, Son of a Carpenter, I love you my Jesus, born this night in Bethlehem. AMEN

No comments: