Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Long Lunches...

My favorite thing in the whole wide world is a long lunch with friends... A long, long, comfortable, quiet lunch with friends. My appetite for long lunches came on quietly. My taste for them developed after high school when I used to go to lunch with my friend Jean. After she returned from Japan and I started college we spent four hours in a restaurant together talking and sharing what had been happening in our lives. Add into that mixture Susan who when I was child taught music at Bible School. I thought her name was Joy because she had that uncanny walk with God. The kind that make you believe in Entire Sanctification. Stir all this together and you have the recipe for a long lunch.

Today I had a long lunch with Jean, Susan, their mothers, and Jean's husband Bob. The best way to describe this group... good people. When we get together I get to hear all about the happenings in my native Indiana. I get to learn about their own heritage and family. Paradoxically, the love they all share leads me to love my own family more. Lunch with Jean and Susan always does this to me... they both embrace life so fully, with such reality, that I cannot help but be changed by the experience. Long lunches... GOOD!

3 comments:

John David Walt said...

call me for lunch when you get back here michael-- will look forward to it

Fitz said...

I have to say that the one word that I would use to describe your lunches when I was at seminary with you would not be "quiet" :-)

Michel said...

Errata: Replace the word "quiet" with any of the following:
authentic
sentimental
enjoyable
dramatic
tramatic
window sill
purple
customary
rare
Gloria Estefan