Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Mandy Thursday (Ugly Feet)

So, let me just be honest. At our Maundy Thursday Service, we shared in the ancient practice of foot washing. I stayed in my seat. It would have taken wild dogs to pull me to have my feet washed. It terrifies me. Through four years of seminary, I have never conquered this fear. It is just too intimate, too personal, and too close. There is no one… and I mean it…no one at all that I would trust enough to perform this action. Oddly enough, I would happily wash the feet of others. Oddly enough this is the struggle of my Christian life… I am more than willing to love others… I find it much harder to be loved… I am more than willing to serve others… less willing to be served but, I know this has to change… after all, does not our Lord tell us “If I do not wash your feet you have no part of me”?

Urgh… the Liturgy has ripped me open.

No comments: