Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Good Friday (Wounded Creativity)

During our Good Friday Services last week our Priest, Father Peter, went forward and began to play his guitar. With him were two master violinists and together they played an exquisite rendition of “How Deep the Father’s Love for Us”. As I watched them play their instruments I thought about how all of their instruments were made with beautifully polished wood. Then as I scanned the room I saw the altar table, also made of beautifully polished wood. Finally, I saw the large wooden cross. As I listened to the music and took in what I was seeing, I caught a new glimpse of the fall on humanity. Had we never have fallen, we would have used the resources of our world to make instruments, tables to gather at, and homes for people to live in. As things are however, we use our ingenuity to create torture devices, and walls between one another. Have you ever considered how creative we are in doing evil? We not only hurt one another, we do so artfully. How interesting then that the church has become a sanctuary for music and art! How interesting that played out before us as we reflected on our own sin was redemption in a rosewood violin, and tall wooden altar. The cross was not only a reclamation of our souls but of our lost creativity.

No comments: