Friday, September 14, 2007

The Genetti




So a few weeks ago I went to Pennsylvania to see the wedding of James and Michelle Wooster. We had a wonderful time. It was like an Asbury reunion and I met a new friend named Mark whom I've kept up correspondence with since last week.

So anyway, on Friday I stayed at this old fashioned and haunted hotel called the Genetti in Williamsport, PA. It was so totally cool. It was late, I was tired, so I went straight to my room and found this welcome letter on my pillow just like you would find at any hotel.

Now usually I don't read these but I read this one because I thought it might have some of the hotel's history... instead, what I got was a benediction. I copy it here so that everyone can read it...

"To our guest -- Because this hotel is a human institution to serve people, and not solely a money making organization, we hope that God will grant you peace and rest while you are under our roof.

May this hotel be you 'second' home. May those you love be near you in thoughts and dreams. Even though we may not get to know you, we hope that you will be comfortable and happy as if you were in your own home.

May the business that brought you our way prosper. May every call you make and every message you receive add to your joy. When you leave, may your journey be safe.

We are all travelers. From 'birth till death' we travel between the eternities. May these days be pleasant for you, profitable for society, helpful for those you meet, and a joy to those who know and love you best."

I remember reading this and thinking... "well... amen." I was utterly floored. I guess I didn't expect that much theological content that late at night. I slept well too... which is unusual for me. All in all... I recommend the Genetti if you're ever in Williamsport.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an interesting letter. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before.

I'm curious to hear more about the hotel's "haunted" aspect, though. ;)

Michel said...

Jared, I don't know too much about it. I woke up in the morning and went to check out... I mentioned how inexpensive the hotel ended up being and she said, "I know and it's in a historic building as well... did you see the ghost"

Sadly I didn't. However I can mark "Stay in Haunted Hotel" off of the list of things to do before I die. Though the next part will be harder. "See a ghost in a haunted hotel."

Anonymous said...

Well, maybe next time! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael,

I'm really glad you enjoyed the images of the Woosters' wedding. It was a wonderful day, I was glad to be there. Good to meet you, too.

Thanks.

Haley said...

I stayed there last night actually and had a shadow/ figure standing at the window