Sunday, July 15, 2007

Warsaw and My New Life

Deep Breath...

Again...

Deep Breath...

Again...

Deep Breath...

On June 2nd,2007 I was commissioned a probationary elder in the United Methodist Church. It is hard to describe the feelings I felt, the joy, and the utter relief. I will merely try to capture it all in two brief moments during the worship service.

The first is the Gloria Patri where we all turned from facing forward and faced the cross and I felt small, and insignificant in the midst of a huge accomplishment. It felt so right to be utterly eclipsed, and made small in the face of the cross.

The second moment came after the laying on of hands... I was led to the conference Lay Leader who took my hand and said, "On behalf of the Laity we thank you for answering God's call on your life." It was beautiful.

Then, with conference over I had to return home to pack and spend time at Vacation Bible School at MOntpelier and on June 13, 2007 I moved out of Montpelier to my new house in Warsaw. I was exhausted but I got right to work at Warsaw First and Aldersgate UMC. It was a tough time dealing with all the change and even tougher trying to keep us with my new life... but it was a powerful time.

So these last few weeks have been all about getting to know people, and trying to find my way here... and this week, I took the Youth to camp.

The week was not without it's challenges but it was absolutely beautiful. These are extraordinary young people.

Anyway, I feel full of joy at everything that happened at camp this week. I also feel like I am starting to get on here. It's been a full, difficult and beautiful time.

I had lunch with some parishoners today, and I think I might work out here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Silly question: What's a probationary elder?

Michel said...

Jarred,

It's not a silly question. I think it's a great question. By the way, it's cool that you've written to me. I love meeting new folks. A probationary elder in the United Methodist Church is like the first major step towards full ordination... it's basically a three year probationary period before getting fully ordained. Does that help or did I muddy the waters even more.

Anonymous said...

Actually, it helped a great deal. Thanks for the answer.

It's a pleasure to meet you as well.