Sunday, February 05, 2006

Chocolate Covered Wisdom

So the other day I had one of those Dove Chocolates with the blue wrapper, the kind with a little proverb set inside of it. The proverd read: "Listen to your heartbeat, and dance!"

The statement made me so happy I put it in my poetry journal to keep. It's subjective I know but to me this proverb speaks about recognizing the fact that life is a gift, and living it fully. I have mentioned many times Saint Benedict's similar statement to "Keep death daily before your eyes" not as a kind of morbid fascination with death but instead to realize the intensity of life.

Have you considered how those last few moments in the garden must have felt for Jesus? These were his last moments of qiet breath and solitude before embarking on the final leg of the journey. The final task that would see the darkness of the universe bound, and the hope of communion rekindled.

Imagine for a moment what it must have been like for the the Source of all life to experience death!!! A God who never desired death immersing himself in the darkness of humanity. Just like a dancer waiting in the wings the most Holy Trinity waited until the appointed and right time to clothe the Eternal Word in humanity, then to wait until the time of baptism to begin the hard work of ministry, then to the wait in the garden to begin that last work of redemption, then to wait in death to restore the order of the universe and pave the future with a promised return.

I too am waiting and find myself situated in the childhood of Christ, years before the world heard from him he was still seeking and serving. Lead me Lord to follow in his example. Lead me not to ask, what am I waiting for?

No comments: