Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Adulthood and Great Deals on Furniture

So these past few weeks have been bloody. My psyche feels absolutely bruised by all the crap that has been thrown around lately. Oh don't get me wrong, ministry is fine and my life is fine. It's just been tough you know?

In the past few weeks every member of my family have been in the hospital. Most notably my sister Cathy who after experiencing Kidney failure has been on dialysis and added to the transplant list. She's getting along and so am I but the entire situation could best be summed up by a question my nephew Logan asked my sister when he got home from school. "So Mom, who went into the hospital today?" Pretty astute for a second grader.

On the other hand I just bought a beautiful armoir at a second hand furniture store that is one of the most beautiful things I could possibly imagine. Follow that with an $1100 coffee table I bought a few days later on sale for $250. What a fantastic deal!!! It has a marble top and must weight at least 80 pounds! However, it has made coming home such an unexpected pleasure you know. I think I might be developing an addiction to buying furniture. It took me ten months to pay for my armoir but now that it is home I want to go out and buy something else.

I also turned 30 in January and it kind of freaked me out. Coming home each day to hand me down furniture that was falling apart made me feel like I was behind my age. You're supposed to have crappy furniture and empty rooms in college. So I am happy to be getting rid of the milkcrates and exchanging them for actual pieces of furniture. It makes me feel like I am at the right place in my life you know?

I am also so proud of my youth group! What a fantastic group of kids! So that is a quick biographical sketch of what's been going on lately.

In my next blog I'll write about a research project I've been doing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear life's been so rough lately. Kidney failure?! Yikes! My thoughts are definitely with your sister and the rest of your family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike... Hopefully you remember me from your BSU/IV days. I saw your response on the IV party invite and you mentioned your blog, so I thought I would take the chance to say hi and see how you're doing. Unfortunately from this blog post I see things have been rather rough, and I'm sorry to hear that.

I feel your pain on the turning 30 thing (I'm 28 on April 3rd, so I'm getting closer than I'd like), and so far a sectional sofa is the first furniture purchase I've made (outside of a chair I bought from an old roommate that has since gone to the much-loved furniture graveyard in the sky); just about everything else in my apartment has come from various family members.

If you have a chance and want to say hi, my e-mail address is angelfrye@hotmail.com. It would be great to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

I'm also sorry that things have been so rough. I know how much your family means to you, especially your sister. I remember her being such a sweet lady.

I'll be joining the "30" club later this year myself. Perhaps I should buy some furniture too! I'm glad to hear that your youth group is going well. It is good to be able to see where the good things in your life are.