Friday, December 28, 2007

Rewriting my Life

I have never given a sermon I haven't written and rewritten at least five times. My Christmas Eve Sermon got three rewrites before I finally delivered it. Six hours before the service I was rewriting the sermon for the last time. Is it finished yet? I'm still not sure.

My friend Jeana Clark once said that we never finished our papers in seminary, we merely abandoned them. I believe sermons are the same way.

So right now I am in the process of a major rewrite of my life. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I turn 30 next week and find a huge part of my personality unsatisfied and restless. Maybe it has something to do with the new ministry position or the fact that my dog has decided to chew on all my shoes. I don't know. Regardless I am in a season of reconstruction.

This is an odd place to be really - rethinking your theological background and foundations. The things I'm sure of are ten million times more sure (Nicene Creed, Methodistm), but everything else is in flux. The odd thing is that I wonder what people who are in my life now will still be there when I reach the other side of all this. Who will still care and who will write me off as a heretic, a conservative fascist or liberal nutjob? What do I stand to lose or gain in all this rethinking?

It really doesent' matter. I just has to be done. Salve Rex Ioudorum

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael,

You have everything to gain by thinking and rethinking...especially at a major milestone.

The beautiful (and very scary) thing about the journey of following Jesus is that the scenery changes. So commit yourself wholeheartedly to Jesus and the Journey...the only real constants.

Would love to talk about it with you more.

Praying for you, bro.

David Treloar
david.treloar@elakeshore.org

Anonymous said...

Michael,

You have both my sympathies and my best wishes during this time of your life. It can be quite a daunting process to go through such times of rethinking. And I hope that many of your friends will stick with you no matter what.

Of course, I dare to believe I can say with complete confidence that I know one of your friends who will always be there. I figure if he stuck by me...;)

-- Jarred.

Shannon Sigler said...

Hey Michael,
I've been thinking of you...
JD just hired me on as a staff arts director--praise the Lord! I reread your prospectus today and thought I'd look at your blog. Miss you and praying for you, and I believe in your heart for creativity and the beauty of God. Keep pressing forward,
Shannon

Anonymous said...

I always thought you were a heretic :) But I love you anyway.

Rewriting is the author's way of showing love to his/her work.

God is the greatest of authors, and the greatest of lovers.

Unknown said...

Michael,

A blast from your past! Never fear, your friends will be there for you on the other side! I think about you often and say little prayers for you all the time! You impacted my life several years ago and continue to do so even without much contact. Take care and God bless you <><,

Carrie Showalter

Unknown said...

Michael,

A blast from your past! Never fear, your friends will be there for you on the other side! I think about you often and say little prayers for you all the time! You impacted my life several years ago and continue to do so even without much contact. Take care and God bless you <><,

Carrie Showalter

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.