Saturday, September 16, 2006

Finding my Way

I painted something today. It was a tree that sits outside my friends and parishoners Patty and Ralph's farmhouse. It is a huge tree, unimpeded by power lines it is curled and tall... so I wanted to paint it.

I got alot of interesting things on the canvas. I did a good job of demonstrating structure and I love the way everything bends. However there is a problem.

It's the colors. I used purple for the tree on a blue midnight kind of background... then I used orange and yellow to make the details on the tree and the leaves are green. The problem, the purple and orange make it look spooky. Like a halloween tree in children's book.

I'm going to fix it... but in the meantime... I find this a wonderful metaphor for my life right now. It's right and yet so wrong at the same time. It works and it doesn't. I don't know how this tree should grow.

PS I'll post a picture of the tree later.

1 comment:

John David Walt said...

show me the tree--- great analogy michaelangelo-- my encourager. jd