Friday, July 28, 2006

Stigmata

If I could
I would feel in my own flesh
what he did:
Hands tearing in empathy--
Thirsting for a people too drunk
To realize their drought
Weeping for a people to
Jubilant to feel their sadness

Somehow within his passion
Would be feeling more for those around me
Somehow by looking at them from the cross
Through tears I might see them truly.
Crying that they might be found.

In feeling his isolation
I might understand those distant from God.
I might see more of God from from such a perch
Heat, blood, lonely, breath,
Drowning in the midday sun.

If I could be that,
If I could see there,
Then I would not sin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this poem. I read it aloud and let the words roll around in my mouth before swallowing them and digesting them into my soul. We all need to view the world from the perspective of the crucifixion ... then NONE of us would sin. Blessings, Doris Rodriguez