Sunday, August 28, 2005

All About My Trip to Rome

So, many of the readers of this Blog already know that on September 18-26th I will be headed to Rome to take part in a week long Oblate World Congress (www.oblatesworldcongress.com).

However for those of you who don't. I am a lay affilate (oblate) of a Methodist-Benedictine Monastery called Saint Brigid of Kildare Monastery in Minnesota. I have traveled there every summer for retreats, pray for my brother and sister oblates as well as take part in Spiritual Formation Groups.

Anyway, Benedictine Monasteries around the world were chosen by lottery to send one Oblate Delegate to this special conference in Rome. My monastery was chosen, and then they chose to send me to the conference.

I have my ticket, have started gathering together the supplies I'll need, am having my license renewed with my new address, and am preparing to leave. While I am at the conference, there is also a change that we will be given an audience with His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI.

I am however, nervous and filled with a bit of trepidation. I have never attempted international travel nor have I ever flown for 14 hours. Also, on my way home I have a 13 hour layover in London... fun huh... except for the fact that it is in the middle of the night. 8:00pm - 9:45am. Can you imagine?

I just keep thinking, I wish I had someone to go along with me... oddly enough, though I have been given an all expense paid trip to Rome... it is scary to attempt on my own.

3 comments:

Timothy Putnam said...

M. I am so proud of you! And proud for you! Your devotion to The Way has always been such an inspiration to me. I pray that this trip would be an eye opener to you. I pray that you would see just how capable you really are, and how fully Father has provided for you!

Your brother,

T.

Anonymous said...

Michael, you are going to have the time of your life. Rome is AMAZING! You will be blown away by the architecture, the food, the people, the Pope! Make sure you go to Trevi Fountain, the Colosseum, the Pantheon, Villa Borghese, Circus Maximus, the catacombs, the Roman Forum, the Spanish Steps, and eat the best pizza and gelato you've ever had! I'll pray for your nerves and your flight. You'll be fine, I just know.

P.S. I'm extremely jealous of you! Stick me in your luggage?

Anonymous said...

Michael,

International travel isn't too bad I am sure you will love Rome, say hi to the holy father for me, probably couldn't get re-routed through Kazakhstan:) on your way back...